Raw rice -2 cu
Dehusked Black gram – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 2 tsps.
Black pepper – 2 tsps.
Bengal gram dhal – 1 Tbl.sp.
Rock salt – 2 ½ tsps.
Sour skimmed curd – 2 cups
Green chillies – 10
Cooking soda – ½ tsp.
Oil – 2 Tbl.sps.
Yield : 20 Idlis
Nutritive value of 1 Idli
Energy : 88 K.cals
Carbohydrate : 18 gms.
Protein : 3.1 gms.
Fat : 0.3 gm
1. Soak dhal and rice separately for 2 hours.
2. Grind dhal with just enough water until frothy.
3. Grind rice with green chillies till coarse rawa consistency.
4. Mix both together (dhal & rice) with sour curds and salt before removing from grinder.
5. Put pepper,cumin and bengal gram dhal on top of the batter and close with a lid.
6. Allow to ferment for 15 to 20 hours.
7. Next day before preparing Idlis, pour hot oil and soda, to the batter.
8. Mix well and pour on a greased cooker plat, for 1 inch depth.
9. Steam until cooked, or approximately for 30 to 40 mintes.
10. Cut into squares and serve hot with chutney.
Variation: Finely cut coriander leaves, curry leaves and chopped ginger can be added to the batter before steaming.
Note: In all curd based Idlis use thick sour curd only for better results.
Beginner ‘s Tip: To test steamed Idlis:
Pierce a toothpick / knife into cooked Idli. If dough doesn’t stir to the stick, Idlis are cooked properly. If by touch, steamed idli’s spring back without sticking to hands, it is done.